As we grow older, it can get harder and harder to carve out time in the day to think. Reflect on life, how things are going, what went well, what went pear-shaped. All the healthy reflective thinking we are meant to do in order to grow as individuals, as humans. Sometimes, life can get in […]
Hello! It has been super busy here, between school stuff, studying, working, designing/creating, life in general really. We are also heading into birthday season! In our little family, the ladies are all born at the same time of the year. All three of us will be celebrating our special day…very soon! Hurrah for us! Which […]
Home again after a lovely morning at The Mummy Tree markets in sunny Bris-Vegas. It’s always such a lovely crowd, friendly stall holders, fab customers, loads of (free!) entertainment for the kidlets. What more could you ask for? I found some fab gear for my kids, including a gorgeous banner from
I’ve carved out some time this week to sit and reflect on life. Taking the time to think about how everything is going using a fab list from the lovely Pip Lincolne at Meet Me at Mikes, here’s my list… Making : a super cool hoodie vest for my littlest poppet (because of […]
Today I have woken up happy. Do you have those days? The days when the sun seems a little brighter, you notice the flowers in your garden, there’s a sparkle in your eyes. It’s a welcome relief after being a little melancholy, kind of down in the dumps mood for the last wee while. My […]
In most states now, kids are back and school and the weekly ritual of homework has begun. Christmas holidays are fast becoming a distant memory, and so we are all getting back to our daily, nightly and weekly routines. In our house a big part of our routine is reading. Do you read […]
- Think of themes. Maybe go with holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc). Sea creatures, dinosaurs, fairies.
- Read the book first. If you have a new book, take a few minutes to read it first. Test it out. Is it interesting? Funny? Do the words rhyme?
- Get online and get some ideas, have a look here for some fab read aloud tips
- Visit your local library. Go to story time, ask a librarian for help/ideas/suggestions
- Let your child choose the book
- Get older siblings/ cousins/ friends to take turns reading.
- Happily read the same book, every night, for weeks on end if that is what your child wants. I think I might be able to recite every Hairy Maclary book by heart, but I am still happy to read all about that crazy dog and his mates.
Wowsers, the year seems to be flying by already. All of a sudden, we are gearing up for school, getting busy at work and getting set for the first of the gorgeous markets and fairs This Grand Life will be attending this year. Whew! It can all get a little overwhelming at times. Thinking […]
- Reading: Wildwood – a glorious book, with fabulous illustrations, which I initially bought for Captain Jack (my 9 year old) and then when he got a little scared by the opening gambit about a murder of crows, I stepped in to read it first. You know, to check it wasn’t too scary. I am LOVING it…
- Creating: More gorgeous sundresses, super cute heart purses, some cuddly softies and boardies for super cool boys with some beautiful new fabric.
- Learning: French, brushing up on my French (can’t believe I have been back in Australia for nearly 3 years), such a beautiful quirky language.
- Teaching: Little L how to read. My littlest poppet starts school this year and is super keep to keep up with the big kids in the house. We have used Reading Eggs for years and all of my kids have loved it. It’s also a great excuse to spend more time reading each night.
- Watching: Girls. Though it feels like a guilty pleasure, I am totally hooked. Oh the angst, the selfish choices, the dilemmas.
As I said farewell to 2014, and welcomed the new year in, I reflected on all the big stuff we had been though here at This Grand Life. Here’s what my wrap-up of 2014 looks like… Our littlest poppet started at big school, and it was bitter sweet. She looked so tiny yet so grown […]
- Our littlest poppet started at big school, and it was bitter sweet. She looked so tiny yet so grown up all at the same time. I loved hearing all about sport, God Class (religion) and all the new things she was learning with her new friends. Then because of the next point, we get to do it all over again.
- We packed up and moved across the country to sunny Qld. Well, the kids and I did. My lovely kind husband then spent the last half of the year working in Perth while we were in Bris-Vegas. So many big changes to take on board! New school, back to day-care for the littlest poppet (very indignant that she was ready for 'big school'), new job for me... the list goes one and on. Amongst it all though we have thrived in the sunshine and being closer to our families.
- Saying goodbye to Charlie the Wonderdog. I had written a post, which maybe I will publish someday, though maybe I won't (I can't quite get the words right). My beautiful furry friend had been with me for 14 years from when it was just me, then as my family expanded to include my husband, a sweet Newfoundland (Ellie) and our four lovely kidlets. I still miss her sweet face each day.
- Finally, finally, finally being a family again as the lovely Big A moved from Perth to Brissy. Thank you to our lovely friends in Perth for lending him a room, inviting him over for dinner and generally making a tough time a whole lot easier.
- Being able to focus more time and energy on my creative business. The move to the sunshine state, coupled with setting up a little studio and finding a lovely creative community to be part of have all meant that I had the time and energy to design and create gorgeous frocks, boardies and super cute gear. All designed and hand-made by me. I was part of some brilliant artisan and hand-made markets, which were the creative highlight of my year. I really do get a buzz just from being around such talented creative folk.
- Continuing to write and think, and question what is going on around me. When I can, I find the time to publish here. I hope you have enjoyed reading it too!
This afternoon my four little munchkins arrive home from a week away at Grandma and Grandad’s farm (huge thank you to my lovely folks for having our four stay for a whole week) . I am so excited to see their little faces this afternoon and hear all about their adventures on their big trip away. […]
Want to read more?
- April 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
Our lovely sponsors!
Please do not use anything without permission or without noting its origins on your blog or website.
If you pin any images from this site please include the original source/photographer’s credit.