Over a coffee with a lovely girlfriend this week, I started to think about the fab tips I have collected over 11 years of parenting. Each time I heard/saw/read a good tip over the years, I have trialled it and if it’s a winner I have added it to our morning routine. With four kids […]
- Bag drop stop - create a bag drop spot. Maybe it's near the front door, maybe it's a hat-rack, maybe it's a combo! Whatever you decide, make it the kids job to drop their bag off/pick it up from there. You can even add a lap-top charge station if you need to. Add a spot for hats and shoes and you are ready to roll. Here's some pics for ideas...
- Uniform shop - put all of the school uniforms in one spot. I wash then hang uniforms straight up on a coat hanger and onto a small cloths rack. We have a basket nearby for school socks. We also keep sports/dance/swim bags here too - packed and ready to go.
- Lunchbox production line - get the kids involved! Make it the kids job to place lunch boxes on the bench when they arrive home. In the morning, have snacks in one container, fruit in a bowl, and let the kids assemble their own lunch. This helps each child to take responsibility for what in their lunchbox and you can chat about healthy choices at the same time...winning! Here's some lunch-box inspiration.
- Ban technology/ TV - no tv/iPad/phone/internet/devices until everyone is dressed and ready to go. Stay firm on this one, let the kids know that technology is a no-go until there are dressed and ready. Lead by example - no Facebook/ phones for adults either until you are ready too!
- Breakfast all round. Make breakfast part of the morning routine, smoothies, toast, boiled eggs, cereal...whatever works with your crew! Just make it simple, quick and as healthy as you can. No breakfast equals grumpy kids (and grown-ups!).
One of the fabulous benefits of having children or spending time with kids is that you get a reminder of how much joy they get from the world.
Discovering new ideas. Exploring the world. Playing. Laughing at silly things. Living in the moment. Kids are masters are stopping to smell the roses. Slowing […]
One of the fabulous benefits of having children or spending time with kids is that you get a reminder of how much joy they get from the world.Discovering new ideas. Exploring the world. Playing. Laughing at silly things. Living in the moment. Kids are masters are stopping to smell the roses. Slowing down and moving at their own pace. Adults are always searching for ways to relax, meditate, calm down. Most kids have got that in the bag. Watch a small child playing with Lego, matchbox cars, playing a game of make-believe, and you can see they are fully immersed in the moment. My kids are staying at my family's farm this week. I know already that they will spending their time, exploring, digging in the sandpit, catching frogs and generally having a grand old time. There will be no structured plan, no to-do list. Just fun, sunshine and spending time together. Hope you are enjoying the sunshine, taking time to relax, and most importantly finding the time to have fun. Enjoy xx
As I said farewell to 2014, and welcomed the new year in, I reflected on all the big stuff we had been though here at This Grand Life. Here’s what my wrap-up of 2014 looks like… Our littlest poppet started at big school, and it was bitter sweet. She looked so tiny yet so grown […]
- Our littlest poppet started at big school, and it was bitter sweet. She looked so tiny yet so grown up all at the same time. I loved hearing all about sport, God Class (religion) and all the new things she was learning with her new friends. Then because of the next point, we get to do it all over again.
- We packed up and moved across the country to sunny Qld. Well, the kids and I did. My lovely kind husband then spent the last half of the year working in Perth while we were in Bris-Vegas. So many big changes to take on board! New school, back to day-care for the littlest poppet (very indignant that she was ready for 'big school'), new job for me... the list goes one and on. Amongst it all though we have thrived in the sunshine and being closer to our families.
- Saying goodbye to Charlie the Wonderdog. I had written a post, which maybe I will publish someday, though maybe I won't (I can't quite get the words right). My beautiful furry friend had been with me for 14 years from when it was just me, then as my family expanded to include my husband, a sweet Newfoundland (Ellie) and our four lovely kidlets. I still miss her sweet face each day.
- Finally, finally, finally being a family again as the lovely Big A moved from Perth to Brissy. Thank you to our lovely friends in Perth for lending him a room, inviting him over for dinner and generally making a tough time a whole lot easier.
- Being able to focus more time and energy on my creative business. The move to the sunshine state, coupled with setting up a little studio and finding a lovely creative community to be part of have all meant that I had the time and energy to design and create gorgeous frocks, boardies and super cute gear. All designed and hand-made by me. I was part of some brilliant artisan and hand-made markets, which were the creative highlight of my year. I really do get a buzz just from being around such talented creative folk.
- Continuing to write and think, and question what is going on around me. When I can, I find the time to publish here. I hope you have enjoyed reading it too!
It’s interesting how life can move along so quickly sometimes that we feel like everything is rushing by. You can find yourself wondering…when did that happen? I feel like this sense of life rushing by is magnified since I became a parent over a decade ago. Even writing the word ‘decade’ makes me wonder, where […]
The past few weeks have been frantically busy as we packed and moved across the country to sunny Queensland. Now that the dust has settled (well almost), I have found time to read again. I picked an unexpectedly good book at the airport (I can never resist a good airport novel) on my way to […]
Hello and happy Sunday! We kicked our day off with walking Charlie the Wonderdog and a family breakfast. The kids decided to take photos along the way (including the Mini-Fashionista who is starting her own blog these holidays – there is a LOT of planning going on right now!), which meant it was more of […]
Today I have been thinking about how fab it is to have brothers and sisters. My own combo is a big brother and two little sisters. Over the years, these cool folk have stuck by me and joined me for the ride through moving houses, building a house, bust ups, having babies, surviving B&S balls, heading off […]
Happy Friday Folks! I thought I’d take the time to think about what I am grateful for today (the fab print about is available here on Etsy via West Sheridan): Getting the chance to spend some Q-time with the little folk in my life (and also at the same time expanding my knowledge […]
- Getting the chance to spend some Q-time with the little folk in my life (and also at the same time expanding my knowledge of dinosaurs, Zelfs - more about those tomorrow, and Lego)
- Having a lovely supportive partner in life who a rock of encouragement and support this year while I pursue my somewhat lofty creative/ career dreams
- Being in good health and having a lovely family
I am gearing up for my first boutique markets (can’t wait Mathilda’s Markets!!) and crossing my fingers for Finders Keepers, so it’s been flat strap on the sewing / creating front. With a super-busy house, and my daytime job as a scientist, it’s a little hard to get in […]
Humans are funny creatures aren’t we? Despite all of the technology, development and innovation that has occurred, our happiness and security still seems to be linked to a primal desire to be part of a tribe. Sure we can have the latest car, clothes and phone, but it’s all kind of meaningless unless we feel […]
Want to read more?
- April 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
Our lovely sponsors!
Please do not use anything without permission or without noting its origins on your blog or website.
If you pin any images from this site please include the original source/photographer’s credit.